Data Management & Processing Science
01.01.2020 - 31.12.2020
Data Management and Processing Science bridges the gap between researchers, data and their processing needs, in a demanding Big Data environment.
Within this internal activity research on big data activities is fostered and support is provided to all researches of the institute to adopt state of the art technology for being able to effectively use the stream of earth observation products that is available through various projects and the sentinel alpine observatory.
This project has hence the clear objective to support the activities of the Institute and in particular the Sentinel Alpine Observatory and link the activities from research to the NOI tech park and especially the Environmental Sensing Lab of the Competence Center TechEnv.
Collaboration is foreseen with the following projects: SAO (EOEM), DPS4ESLAB (CSS), ST Drought (EOEM), CCI Snow (EOEM), openEO (ACEO) and DIS (CSS).
Of particular interest are:
- How to efficiently organize earth observation and deliver it fit for purpose to the researchers, e.g. data cubes and how to access those via API’s and standardized OGC interfaces.
- Optimize and make processing flows scalable e.g. through use of containers
- Harmonize access to heterogenous data sources from various satellite missions and
- In collaboration with the Competence Center Technology for Environment accessing the environmental data platform and in situ-data.
- Support the researchers in the development of scientific workflows making use of state of the art EO technology.
- Provide training & seminars for the uptake of new technology
Contact persons: Alexander Jacob, Bartolomeo Ventura